"The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing —
to reach the Mountain, to find the place where all the beauty came from —
my country, the place where I ought to have been born. Do you think it all meant nothing,
all the longing? The longing for home? For indeed it now feels not like going, but like going back."


~C.S. Lewis




Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"All I Want": Seeking Magic and Beauty

 It can be sad for me to ask my Christian friends about what they see as their life's calling. It is not that their passion for serving the Lord is not there, but it is that so rarely is there beauty and glory and joy in it. Their answers ring with overtones of passionate resignation: they are willing to do anything and go anywhere, but never seem to once consider that perhaps their calling in Christ's kingdom is not to serve, per se, but to fill the world with glory. Where is glory? Where is beauty? Where is magic? Where is maia? They do not know; they never thought to know, but perhaps, in ignoring beauty, they are ignoring their Lord's deeper calling.




Our calling is to God's kingdom both now and then, and His kingdom is one of glory. Perhaps it matters less what you do and more about the undercurrents of glory in your ministry. Where do you see redemption and glory and beauty and God's light where no one else sees it? What makes your heart and soul burn with fire? What makes you literally cry, the longing is so intense? Where does your soul sense a deeper world, the way it was before the Fall?

Do you know?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


I will go where glory meets the crude and weak
I will go where mercy meets the shame
I will go where strength will find the small and meek
I will go where magic meets mundane 

And You're all I want
You're all I want
You're all I'll find
You have my heart forever
You are all that I could need

I will go where grace and healing love restores
I will go where peace and rest is known
I will go where friendship finds my heart in Yours
I will go where beauty leads me home

~Future of Forestry